It is an exciting time to be a part of making a difference towards Kingston’s “10-year Plan to End Homelessness”. Join us in making that difference.
Home Base Housing develops and manages a range of safe, affordable housing, emergency shelters and support services to meet the needs of youth, adults and families at risk of homelessness in the Kingston area.
Become a part of a progressive and flexible organization that provides a range of leading-edge services in the field of homelessness, housing and supports.
Our organization is located in historic downtown Kingston which has wonderful restaurants and shopping including outdoor markets in the summer and skating in the winter.
We are seeking experienced individuals who brings enthusiasm, knowledge, and creativity to their work.
The successful candidate will have at their core a profound respect for persons who are experiencing a variety of life challenges and will have the requisite skills and experience to help them make positive changes.
(13 month contract- Sept 1, 2017 – Sept 30, 2018) 35 hours/week – (days & evenings)
Location: Integrated Youth Services Hub/ Youth Action Center
The Youth Hub Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day planning and organizing of activities in a single site location of integrated youth services (Youth Action Center). This includes program over-sight, coordinating service providers from multiple agencies to ensure adequate staffing at all times. The Youth Hub Coordinator is the main point of contact at the Centre and is responsible for directing and connecting the youth to appropriate services. The Coordinator is responsible for data collection for the purpose of reporting outcomes at the end of the funding project and will work closely with the Program Manager for the on-going development of the program to meet client, agencies and community and needs.
Duties and Related Tasks:
1 Develop a schedule of service providers who will work from the center to deliver services and programs out of the space.
2. Liaison between the Leadership committee, Youth Connectors Committee and the Youth Committee in order to provide feedback and/or direction among the three groups.
3. With direction/input from the committees develop a system which will best direct services for youth
4. Write final report to Employment Development Services Canada (EDSC) to be circulated provincially and nationally.
5. Link with local employment agencies to hire and train youth on a regular basis (every 3 months) in order to provide youth employment opportunities and assist with duties at the center for the duration of the project. 6. Link with community college programs to provide field placements for students in related programs of study.
7. In conjunction with Program Manager and leadership committee seek out on-going funding opportunities and develop proposals which will support sustainability of the project.
1. Design and implement programs to be offered at the hub which will best serve transitional age youth accessing the space.
2. Assist young people to develop a youth committee which will entail monthly meetings that will support the voice of youth in order to direct services and programs being offered at the hub.
3. Meet with youth who may be temporarily restricted from the center.
4. Collect data and outcomes on the number of youth accessing the Youth Hub as outlined in the EDSC proposal.
5. Develop and implement youth satisfaction surveys at regular intervals over the year to assist with whether the Youth Hub is meeting client needs.
Finance and Property
1. Oversees any maintenance issues at the Hub and reports them to the proper channels
2. Oversees custodial and cleaning schedules of the space.
3. Links with security systems and after-hours services as required.
4. Ensure the property adheres to Home Base Housing-Health and Safety policies.
1. Develops the staffing schedule in consultation with the team to ensure maximum efficiency while meeting program objectives.
2. In collaboration with the Program Manager, approves vacations and other time off requests for HBH staff working out of the Youth Hub.
3. Reviews and approves staff timesheets and submits to the Program Manager prior to payroll deadlines.
4. Determine and provide necessary training for staff working out of the Youth Hub. Update and train staff in these areas as needed.
Related Tasks and knowledge:
• knowledge of homelessness and affordable housing issues within the community and the strategies to end chronic homelessness which are identified in the 10-Year Municipal Housing and Homelessness Plan (Dec 2013);
• knowledge of the unique needs of youth as it relates to homelessness both in a housing first and prevention framework;
• ability to apply the principles of a Housing First approach in day-to-day work and interactions with the client;
• knowledge of the resources in the community for individuals, youth and families who are homeless, at risk of homelessness, living in poverty, or living with mental health or addiction issues and skilled at brokering services for client appropriate to the responsibilities of the job;
• ability to integrate harm reduction approaches as appropriate in interactions with the client;
• knowledge of and adherence to privacy legislation and policies within the organization related to confidentiality of client information;
• strong problem solving, conflict resolution and mediation skills within a solution-focused framework;
• excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
• the ability to negotiate and mediate difficult situations and produce positive results;
• ability to function as a participating member of the team and understand the work of the team as part of a broader system to end youth homelessness;
• background in systems work, data analysis and supporting the work of others to achieve system goals;
• supports a learning culture that stays up to date with the current trends as it relates to supporting marginalized young people in our community;
• develops the staffing schedule in consultation with the multiple agencies working out of the Hub to ensure maximum efficiency while meeting program objectives;
• promotes the development of the team and deals with team issues promptly.
• University Degree or Community College Diploma in a related discipline
• Minimum five years work experience in human services, of which at least three years shall be in services targeted to youth• Previous Leadership experience is an asset
• Demonstrated ability in both oral and written communications
• Strong negotiation and mediation skills• Demonstrated knowledge of issues facing at-risk youth
• Demonstrated organizational abilities
• Valid driver’s license and access to a car
The Relief Support Worker is assigned to provide coverage when full-time staff are unable to be at work and where coverage is required to deliver the program. The Relief Support Worker adheres to the policies of Home Base Housing and to the Program where they are assigned.
• Creating a welcoming, supportive, respectful and safe atmosphere
• Providing assistance and interim support to clients in attendance
• Promoting safety and security at all times, taking action as required
• Maintaining daily housekeeping routines with tenant involvement as appropriate
• Attending program meetings and training sessions as requested
• Demonstrated knowledge of homelessness issues, services available, mental health and /or addiction issues
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
• Strong client focus
• Skills in planning and implementation of activities
• Demonstrated ability to deal with hard to serve clients and negotiate difficult situations
• Computer competency related to job function
Qualifications and Requirements
• university degree or community college diploma in a related discipline
• minimum three years work experience in human services
• possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle, with appropriate insurance
• Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training or related training
• First Aid and CPR
• CPIC – vulnerable sector required prior to employment
Please forward resume and cover letter (in PDF format ONLY) by email to:
Dawn Sadler email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Home Base Housing. We are currently not seeking volunteers at this time. Please check our website in the future. Thanks!